Warm Up Questions
Do you believe women can be leaders in the church?
What Bible verse gives your view the most trouble? Why?
What do chapters 1-3 of Genesis teach about gender roles?
What ministry roles are acceptable for women? Why?
What ministry roles are unacceptable? Why?
How does the ministry of Miriam, Deborah, and Huldah in the Old Testament effect this issue?
How does the Ministry of Anna, Philip’s daughters, Priscilla, Junia, and Phoebe in the New Testament Effect this issue?
Did Jesus have any female disciples? How might this effect our discussion?
Should the structure of the family effect the structure of the church?
Does one’s views on church government effect one’s view on women in leadership? If so, how?
Gen 1:26-27; 2:18-3:24; Exod 15:20; Num 12:1-15; Judg 4:4-5; 2 Kgs 22:14; 2 Chr 34:22-24; Prov 31:10-31; Joel 2:28; Mic 6:4; Matt 19:3-12; Mark 16:1-8; Luke 8:1-3; 10:38-42; Acts 1:14-15; 2:15-21; 18:24-26; 21:9; Rom 16:1-16; 1 Cor 11:1-16; 14:26-38; 2 Cor 11:3; Gal 3:28; Eph 5:21-33; Phil 1:1; 4:2-3; 1 Tim 2:5-3:1; 3:7-13; 5:1-3, 5, 8-16; 2 Tim 3:6-7; Titus 2:1-5
- Egalitarian Perspectives
(Women may fulfill any role in the Church)
- Video: “Women, Ministry, and Scripture” by Ben Witherington III
- Video: “Women, Ministry, and Scripture, Part 2” by Ben Witherington III
- Video: “Biblical Basis for Women’s Service in the Church” by N.T. Wright
- Article: “Was Paul For or Against Women in Ministry?” by Craig Keener
- Complementation Perspectives
(Women may fulfill some but not all roles in the Church)
- Video: “Why No Women Disciples?” by Greg Koukl
- Video: “What Are Your Thought’s on Women in Church Leadership?” answered by Wayne Grudem
- Video: “Church Elders: What is Their Job Description? Why Aren’t Women Eligible?” by Robert Greene
- Video: “I do not Allow a Woman to Teach . . . “ by John MacArthur
About the position of the United Methodist Church
“Why does The United Methodist Church ordain women?” from UMC.org